Editor-in-Chief Chloé Durand reflects on her time and wishes the staff good luck for next year.

Editor-in-Chief Chloé Durand reflects on her time and wishes the staff good luck for next year.

It has been a long and tumultuous journey, but the end of my journalism experience with The Gregorian Chant is very near. As a senior and editor-in-chief, it is hard not to look back and reflect on some of the best and worst moments.

As a freshman, I remember walking into Mr. Mossman’s room for the first time, where I was introduced to the paper itself and the seven staff members that year. I soon became very familiar with Mr. Mossman’s story of how he used to ghost-write newspaper stories for his high school girlfriend and his time in Swaziland.

Sophomore year was difficult. The majority of the staff members were seniors and did not have much of a passion for the paper anymore, so we struggled to come up with articles and even send out the paper.

There were always several mishaps, which somehow always involved Arii Sylvers. Either her article would be cut off or the picture would be missing, but there would always be a problem.

Junior year, in my opinion, was the pinnacle for The Gregorian Chant. I found us a new printing company for the paper, so we replaced our old gray, grainy paper with crisp, white paper.

I got the administration to agree to purchase a classroom printer and new InDesign software for the Publications Lab. It took us a long time, but we completely revamped the paper with a new design, including new fonts and better photos. For the first time, we had enough money to print in color each issue.

This year, I was not really sure what to expect from the new staff members at the beginning of the year. We spent a lot of time recruiting new students during the previous year after we saw newspaper staffs of over 30 people at the journalism convention in Boston. I was scared that the new members would not be that interested in the paper.

But as my senior year and journalistic career here at St. Gregory comes to a close, I am so fortunate to say that I know The Gregorian Chant is in good hands. You can probably talk to anybody on campus and know that the Chant is essentially my child, and I would never say that I thought that unless I was 100% certain.

I’m so thankful for the opportunity to have been a part of the Chant staff. We fought over miniscule, ridiculous things for about 75% of the time, but that made the other 25% worth it.

There’s no better feeling than transforming a piece of garbage into a work of art. (That may sound harsh, but you should see our November 2012 issue and then you’ll probably agree with me.)

I wish the best of luck to the rest of the Chant staff next year. No one sees the amount of work that goes into creating the paper, but I want to recognize our staff’s achievements this year.

Caitlin McCormick is the most amazing copy editor, catching almost every mistake we make in an article. Karam Katariya is great at acquiring advertisements and securing money for the Chant budget.

Ben Petersen essentially launched The Gregorian Chant’s digital platform all by himself and it is so beautiful. I’m pretty sure Dhruv Patel volunteered to write four articles almost every issue, which shows his admirable work ethic.

Sam Groskind is a very determined, stubborn person, but he took some impressive photographs this year and will be able to continue making The Gregorian Chant beautiful with his photography next year as well.

Valerie Yarova lifted the spirits and brought a lighter tone to the class whenever an argument broke out, and I know she will be a great mediator next year if any argument ever arises.

And Jack Null is great at coming up with unique article ideas that only add to the quality of the Chant.

Serving as editor-in-chief has been an incredible experience, so I would like to thank everyone at St. Gregory for supporting our staff and reading our paper.